One hour and a half Southern Barcelona you will find one of the stand-out Spanish wine regions, Priorat. Small but so dynamic and set in a terrific scenery, it’s homeland of some of the most prestigious wines. Even if its fame and glory seem recent, winemaking tradition in Priorat dates back the 12th Century when monks of the Carthusian Order settled here and planted the first vineyards.
The terroir is key; not only for the slate soil (locally named licorella) but for the hard climate,being one of the warmest and driest regions in Spain with very low yields. Priorat extends its arms to the Montsant area, in fact both appellations are separated by the Montsant mountain, a ancient sacred natural space. And next to them their neighbor Terra Alta region, with a higher altitude and a rare mineral identity favored by the limestone. Ancient tradition combined with extreme natural conditions produce wines of extraordinary flavor concentration in an unparalleled spot. Embark in this Priorat wine tour to experience a serious wine adventure.
Priorat Wine Tour Highlights:
- Coming with us you will be treated like a friend in every visit. Remember they are private family run wineries with very limited productions. Feel 100% looked after; we are your hosts.
- One-of-a-kind visits led by the owner or winemaker (very often the same person); be ready to explore among wine secrets.
- A complete understanding of Priorat wines and their terroir.
- A whole immersion in the deep Catalonian lifestyle.
- A personal selection of charming boutique hotels or private residences fitting your needs.
- Fine dining or more casual traditional paired meals, all lunches and dinners are included (if you prefer to run it by yourself we can assist you with a selection of suggested restaurants and bars).
- We personally host you and we are your chauffeur during the entire journey.
- Totally customized to you and your party.
DAY 1: Arrival to Barcelona and check in at the hotel or private residence. We will plan together what type of accommodation suits you better. We can assist you in planning any activity and take care of a suggested fine dining option.
DAY 2: Priorat. We will pick you up and drive Southern to the hilltop village of Gratallops along winding but spectacular roads. This little town of only 250 habitants has a valuable concentration of quality wines and good friends and we will give you access to some family run wineries with peculiar styles. The visits will be led by the owner or winemaker and are absolutely private. Lunch is foreseen in the vineyards or in the winery; the weather will set the pace.
A boutique charming hotel or a private masia will be selected according to your needs.
In the evening, we can set any plan for you. Dinner arrangements will be made to suit you.
DAY 3: Priorat. Today could head to another little town, Porrera. Please always keep in mind our last minute schedules may vary to better suit you. A couple of wineries will be waiting for us and you will be able to taste reds and whites with a similar but different character. Once again you will be facing a visual striking landscape. We call Priorat winemaking the heroic viticulture, once you are there you will understand why.
Back to Gratallops, dinner arrangements can be made to suit you.
DAY 4: Terra Alta. The “poor brother” in Priorat is the place to watch. While Priorat wines are high pricey and a newcomer could feel lurking temptations of cheating, Terra Alta offers some of the best value for money and stunning projects. Reds are bodied and flavored with mineral notes and whites from white grenache, whose 1/3 of the wine world production is grown in the appellation, are superb.
After a day within vineyards, dinner arrangements will be made in Vilalba dels Arcs.
DAY 5: Montsant. The third destination is some remote town within Montsant wine region, we might stop by Capçanes, Marçà or Els Guillamets. Wherever, this is one more region that has reborn from the ashes and has developed its own identity. This article at The New York Times by Eric Asimov is the best presentation.
After the visits we’ll drive back to Barcelona. We can assist you in planning any activity and take care of a suggested fine dining option.
DAY 6: Departure back to Barcelona.
Which wines will we try? Interesting native red Grenache, Carignan an Morenillo, and traditional French varietals such as Merlot, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon. On the whites side, white Grenache, Macabeu, Xarel.lo and some more.
Who is the tour director? We will host you and the wineries owners or winemakers will personally lead every visit.
Prices are available upon request since each itinerary is different and adapted to suit your personal taste, needs and schedule.
We include in our activities our presence and personal touch in an effort to provide our guests with the most authentic and unforgettable experience.
- We personally host you, we go above and beyond to show you the most genuine.
- Access to private family run wineries with great stories.
- Warm welcome by the winery owners, they will lead the visit
- Unusual inspiring wine tastings
- Pairing meals combining fine restaurants and more casual and traditional establishments.
- Chauffeured-service led by Paladar y Tomar
- Meal: Lunch
- All local taxes
- Wine purchases
Unique Priorat wine tours
From luscious reds wines to bodied desirable whites, Paladar y Tomar provides private Priorat wine tours that include from day excursions to vineyard tours, in-house tastings to a weeklong holiday.