A different way to discover the beauty and charm of Jerez de la Frontera, the home of sherry which sits between a magical present-day decadence and the magnificence of a glorious past, is walking around the historic center on a tabancos tour. But what is a tabanco? A tabanco is a historic tavern born in Jerez back in the 17th century. Exclusive to this city, it brought together the social concept of a bar, with the commercial purpose of selling wine dispatched straight from the barrel. Women were prohibited from entering tabancos for years. As well as being popular places for social get-togethers, tabancos played a significant role in local cultural and political development.
In the last few years they have been pulled back from the edge of extinction, and are now being revived in their function as bars more than wine stores. A tabancos tour is a vibrant experience, an ideal way to understand the Andalusian spirit and feel the close connection between wine, flamenco and arts.
- Get to know authentic Spanish culture by being integrated with locals and staying away from mass tourism and crowded destinations.
- Feel 100% looked after; we are your hosts
- Taste, learn about, and enjoy some of the world’s best wines: sherry.
- Discover one of the most ancient Western cities with different eyes.
- We always allow room for improvisation and last-minute changes, in true Spanish style; a spontaneous flamenco show might happen in a tabanco – soak up the atmosphere and enjoy it.
- Totally private tour for you and your party.
- We don’t limit the number of tapas – we recommend the best food and wine pairing at each tabanco, but you are free to order what you want.
We will meet you at your hotel, private residence or arranged meeting point in Jerez. We can also arrange your private transfer if you’re coming from outside the city. From our starting point at Plaza del Arenal we will walk around the narrow cobbled streets and unveil some of the city best kept secrets. The city boasts around 50 churches, an impressive Cathedral, the Alcazar which dates from the 12th century, gorgeous palaces, fashion ateliers, guitar schools, lively bars, local arts, spontaneous flamenco performances and sunny terraces to sit on. During our walk we will stop at four tabancos, all very different from each other, but all with the same aim: serving sherry wines and tapas the old way. A vintage tour out of the ordinary. We will order a different sherry wine paired with some tapa at each tabanco - every establishment has its own specialty and we will recommend our favorites. But feel free to ask and make your own choice according to what appeals.
We won’t always have a seat - jerezanos love to stand at the bar, and dynamic tapeo (tapas tour/route), going from one bar to another trying the best tapa from each tabanco. So we recommend that you dress comfortably, especially footwear.
What type of food will we eat? Tabancos are not famed for their great cuisine - in fact most of them, with only a few exceptions, don’t even have a kitchen. The tour will be based on cold tapas from top quality products paired with the full range of sherry wines poured straight from the ageing barrels. Jamón de bellota, artisan cheese and some fresh fish will be among the dishes.
Who is the tour guide? P&T hosts you personally, it’s our home city.
Prices are available upon request; each itinerary is different and adapted to suit your personal taste, party details, needs and schedule.
- We generally host all activities ourselves - a personal touch to provide our guests with the most relaxing and unforgettable experience.
- Our personal company and services; we go that extra mile to offer the most authentic experiences.
- Pick-up and drop-off at the arranged meeting point.
- All drinks and tapas
- Private tour only for you and your party.
- All local taxes
- Transportation to Jerez de la Frontera; your transfer can be arranged upon request.
- Gratuities for the tour guide