Bilbao is the Basque region’s industrial capital, as well as its largest city, and its transformation over the last few decades is an urban planner’s version of a miracle. This architectural journey will show you the transformation of the Alhondiga, the first wine exchange built in 1905 and completely renovated by Philippe Stark, while enjoying a wine tasting of a personal selection of local wines. Of course, you won’t leave Bilbao without visiting the Guggenheim, the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art designed by famous architect Frank Gerhy in 1997 that seduces with its curved silver and golden lines, for an in-depth exploration of the permanent and temporary exhibitions, according to your preferences.
Design is waiting for you in Rioja, a world away only one hour from Bilbao. Spend two great days admiring incredible buildings in the middle of the vineyards signed by Frank O. Gehry, Philippe Mazières or Zaha Hadid, and have a chance to learn from passionate winemakers in exclusive private visits. Taste terrific wines and discover small charming villages from Middle Ages.
- One-of-a-kind visits and workshops linking wine & architecture
- Superb arts and winery visits conducted by our team of experts
- Unique accommodation in a singular state-of-the art winery hotel
- Dive into local cuisine, local wines and local traditions of Bilbao and Rioja
- Learn the basics and the basis of Basque cuisine
- Unveil Rioja Alavesa best kept secrets (terroir, varieties, winemaking process) in a exclusive private wine tour
- A perfect cocktail combining Michelin-starred restaurants, classical pintxos and home-made eating style
DAY 1 BILBAO
Upon arrival, private transfer to the hotel and check-in. A sommelier will welcome you and will be your private guide during a selection of exquisite La Rioja handpicked wines in the exclusive setting of the Alhóndiga, Bilbao´s old wine warehouse recently renovated by the international designer Philippe Starck. After such an introduction, a pintxos style lunch is foreseen, a perfect moment to keep going with Rioja wines or trying fresh txakoli.
Free afternoon to enjoy the city at your own pace. Would you like to create and blend your own wine under the expert guidance of our oenologist, that is one of the best introductions to Rioja wines. Of course, bottle your creation on-site and a personalized label as the perfect finishing touch.
In the evening, enjoy a fine dinner at the sole 3-Michelin starred restaurant in Bilbao.
DAY 2 BILBAO - RIOJA
This morning an architect will guide you in a private-guided visit to Guggenheim Museum for an in-depth exploration of the permanent and temporary exhibitions and afterwards wander with our expert guide through the Abandoibarra district. The old industrial area & docklands have been splendidly converted into Bilbao´s new Art district of which the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao is the brilliant flagship. By midday you will head to Rioja wine region. Check-in at the marvelous Marqués de Riscal Hotel by Frank O. Ghery.
For lunch, let yourself go in a fine dining experience at restaurant Las Duelas by Juan Nales Rückauer in Haro, and his personal conception of Rioja cuisine. After lunch, enjoy a private visit to López de Heredia- Viña Tondonia by Zaha Hadid.
Back to the hotel, relax at the Spa Vinothérapie® Caudalie or enjoy a glass of wine at the wine bar. In the evening, let us know if you want to stay at the hotel or you prefer to go out, we'll be glad to assist you.
DAY 3 RIOJA
Today you will be deeply immersed in two more spectacular visits: Baigorri by basque architect Iñaki Aspiazu and Ysios by Santiago Calatrava and their personal vision to trace the path of winemaking from grape harvest to tasting. We will arrange each visit to suit your taste and expectations (horizontal tasting, making your own wine, step into the vineyards, etc). Then, enjoy a memorable traditional lunch in a private-guided pintxos tour in the Medieval village of Laguardia.
Back to the hotel, relax at the Spa Vinothérapie® Caudalie or enjoy a glass of wine at the wine bar. Then, benefit from a scheduled private visit of Marqués de Riscal Winery and a wine tasting before a paired tasting menu at Marqués de Riscal restaurant, 1-Michelin star by Francis Paniego.
DAY 4 RIOJA - BILBAO
Private transfer to Bilbao Airport at the appointed time.
All activities will be adjusted to your schedule.
Wineries can vary in accordance to your schedule.
Might you wish to extend your journey or add any specific activity, please let us know and we will assist you.
We care about your privacy, please let us know what is your perfect balance between free time and activities and we will adjust the program to suit you.
Prices are available upon request since each itinerary is different and adapted to your party details, needs and schedule.
- 3 nights accommodation (B&F) at P&T Hotel Selection - a wine hotel & 5* GL for its gourmet vision, at the best available rate in a personalized stay
- Private expert bilingual local native official expert guides during all visits
- All visits and walking tours as listed in the suggested itinerary: Guggenheim Museum, Alhondiga Bilbao, Laguardia walking tour
- 1 lunch experience at a 3-Michelin starred restaurant in Bilbao
- 1 dinner experience at a 1-Michelin starred restaurant in Haro, Rioja
- Pintxos tour in Laguardia
- 2 full day private wine tours in Rioja
- Luxury private chauffeured-service
- Admission fees and taxes
- Transfers from/to the airport, to be scheduled and quoted individually
- Personal purchases