Embark with us on an exclusive journey to experience first-hand the most sustainable, regulated, selective, and venerable fishing method known to man, whose practice has given rise to entire empires that thrived off of its yield and commerce: the Bluefin tuna experience.
Every spring shoals of massive Bluefin tuna pass through the narrow Strait of Gibraltar, preferring the balmy Mediterranean to harsh Atlantic waters for mating. It is on the beginning of this great migration, skirting the exclusive beaches of Zahara de los Atunes in Cádiz, where the illustrious silver-backed “bulls of the sea” are captured “en paso” (or “on their way”) in a sophisticated and artisanal fashion: the ancient fishing tradition known as Almadraba. Using this method, the fish are cornered onto the sandy beaches using elaborate deception techniques and captured in a sequence of nets, to cause the least amount of stress to the prized meat.
To this day, Almadraba technique is lodged in history, an ancient and precise art form that has not changed with the modernization of our world. Come with us to the only Almadraba in Spain authorized to host this exclusive attendance and witness first-hand the skilled artisans capture the choice Bluefin tuna at its peak of perfection.
EXCLUSIVE DATES AVAILABLE IN 2017 SOON
Paladar y Tomar can organize a minimum 3-day stay in the surrounding area of your choosing; due to the complex nature of the activity it is necessary that the client stays a minimum of 3 days around the area to ensure attendance to this rare activity.
- Departure from: Barbate, Cádiz early in the morning (exact embarking time will be communicated)
- Embarkation from the port of Barbate on a private boat to the Almadraba in Zahara de los Atunes, where you will board the “Barca Tierra”
- Then, you will board one of the Almadraba ships from which all operations will be seen first-hand
- Once the levantá is over, you will again board the first boat to navigate back to Barbate and witness the ronqueo live
- Duration: 3-4 hours
- Afterwards, you will enjoy a tuna-tasting menu at one of the best tuna fish restaurants in Spain
AGE & PHYSICAL CONDITIONS:
- Due to the nature of the activity we request that patrons be in good physical health to move between ships and gain the most enjoyment from the experience
- Activity open to ages 14+
WHAT TO WEAR & WHAT TO BRING:
- We recommend comfortable clothes that cover as much as possible and leave space for a life vest. Tennis shoes are advised for balance and safety aboard the boats.
- We recommend bringing a hat, sunscreen, and a water and wind resistant jacket. Cameras are not permitted, as onsite staff will take photos.
Please keep in mind that you are watching a very exclusive and sophisticated working event: the staff need their space to execute this method. This includes refraining from photographs and engaging in appropriate behavior.
EXCLUSIVE DATES AVAILABLE IN 2017
Prices are available upon request.
- Private boat transfer
- Expert guide during entire activity
- Personal, professional and liability insurances
- Degustation tuna menu at lunchtime
- All taxes and fees
What’s not included?
- Personal purchases
IMPORTANT BOOKING INFORMATION
- In case of cancellation due to weather conditions, your reservation will be moved to the next scheduled day
- In case the fishermen need to cancel the event due to lack of cooperation from the tuna, your reservation will be moved to the next scheduled day
- Due to these complex factors, it is necessary that the client stays at minimum 3-days around the area to ensure he is able to attend this rare activity