Barcelona is the city of design and is also home to one of the most famous food markets in the world; La Boqueria or Saint Joseph Market (Mercat de Sant Josep). It’s our weekly food destination when we are in the city since we can buy fresh fruits and veggies straight from our preferred farmers, wander around the fish area (where we always stop at Puri’s stall to pick up some unusual goodies), as well as stocking up on cheese, jamón, wild mushrooms and the best Norwegian cod you could imagine (Catalonia and the Basque Country have a very strong culinary tradition of salt cod). Will you miss a private cooking class in Barcelona?
But we don’t just go to La Boqueria to fill up our fridge – we like exploring its darkest corners with our best friend, a historian and chef whose singular and unmistakable style mixes Greek, Arab and Roman traditions in his speech.
Lately La Boqueria has become a major tourist attraction and at some times of the day the market gets so busy that it’s hard to walk through the crowd in the narrow passageways. That is why we don’t offer cooking classes in Barcelona on daily basis but we prefer to arrange them privately with you.
What does a cookery session consist of?
Who is the chef?
One of our chefs is the culinary director of La Boqueria Food Market, and beyond being a chef he is an historian specialized in researches around food and wine culture. Native from Italy, he is a Knight in the Italian National Order of Merit living in Barcelona and promoting the Spanish culinary culture for over 25 years. He participates in several TV and radio shows, and he is member of several wine and food guilds such as the Cava Guild, and he is part of gastronomic societies in Logroño and Barcelona. He is also consultant at Mercado de San Miguel in Madrid. As a writer and speaker, he participates at different cultural events such as the International Congress of Contemporary Spanish Literature. With a great sense of humor and an enviable memory, he masters Mediterranean cuisine and loves playing with the mix of cultures in the Iberian Peninsula and their influence on the table.
Barcelona Cooking Class Highlights:
- Learn about authentic Spanish culture by being integrated with locals and staying away from mass tourism and crowded destinations.
- Feel 100% looked after; we are your hosts
- Enjoy an extraordinary cooking class inspired by history, cross-cultural influences and fun.
- Get an authentic picture of Barcelona and visit the lesser known areas.
- Use the best seasonal ingredients: we respect the environment and natural cycle so the menu is always different with the freshest produce.
- Design your own menu; we will finalize it with you according to your preferences.
We will meet you either at your hotel or the arranged meeting point (we can arrange your private transfer if you’re coming from outside Barcelona). Then, we go straight to La Boqueria with The Chef. He is a culinary consultant at Boqueria market and has access to every corner of the stalls and below ground too. Did you know there are ancient ruins under the market? That could be a stop for some light tapa! Be ready for a very unusual visit. Cava and jamon will be part of the experience.
Once the shopping is done you’ll go home to his private kitchen atelier and start all the preparations while chatting about spices, coffee (The Chef is about to publish a book about history of coffee), sweet and bitter… It will take you around three hours to prepare lunch. Don’t be surprised if bottles of cava or wine are spontaneously uncorked during the class!
Once the meal is ready, relax and enjoy the lunch paired with some more of our favorite local wines.
What type of food will we cook? We can focus on Mediterranean local specialties, or prepare any themed session according to your preferences. The final menu will be decided in consultation with you.
Who is the chef? The Chef is one of the most renowned personalities in the Spanish wine and culinary scene.
Duration: 6 hours | From 10 am to 4 pm
Please advice about any allergy or food intolerance.
Prices are available upon request; each itinerary is different and adapted to suit your personal taste and diet, party details, needs and schedule.
Our team hosts all cooking activities ourselves - a personal touch to provide our guests with the most relaxing and unforgettable experience.
- The Chef
- A native English interpreter (your host)
- A private exclusive visit to Boqueria Food Market
- Breakfast and aperitifs at La Boqueria
- Carefully selected local wines for the meal
- Fine glassware and dinner service
- Pick-up at your hotel or the agreed meeting point, and local transportation during the activity from the market to the kitchen atelier by taxi
- Local taxes
- Private chauffeured transportation during the activity
- Transportation to Barcelona if staying out of the city; your transfer can be arranged upon demand.